To apply for this position, please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Haymarket Automotive comprises What Car?, PistonHeads and Autocar - three brilliant brands that are world-famous for informing and entertaining car buyers, sellers and owners and which share the goal of leading in their chosen marketplaces.
Our reputation is built on quality journalism, slick marketing, product innovation and dogged and skilled salescraft, all in support of digital and print products that lead the market. No other automotive brand interacts with consumers and the car industry so comprehensively or is as well respected by its audience.
Whatever we do, we aim to be the best - and that starts with our teams and the way we place them at the heart of everything we do.
Almost 100 years on from inventing the road test in the 1920s, Autocar remains the go-to destination in print and online for the most in-depth and authoritative enthusiast car reviews anywhere in the world. The road test editor is one of the flagship roles on the world’s oldest automotive publication, and will be responsible for creating, managing and setting the tone of Autocar’s entire reviews output.
- Manage the weekly road test in Autocar magazine, to evolve it where necessary, and to ensure it retains its position as the industry-leading enthusiast’s car review
- Manage the first drives section of the website and magazine, to ensure Autocar’s first verdicts are delivered in a timely but authoritative manner; speed should never come at the expense of accuracy
- Work closely with the editor and manufacturers to ensure Autocar is given the earliest and best possible access to new cars as they become available
- Work with the digital reviews editor to ensure the online reviews section is constantly up to date, and work with the digital reviews editor and the editor to ensure we capitalise on recent growth in online reviews traffic
- Manage the wider Autocar road test team, to ensure Autocar’s reviews standards are upkept, and the tone of reviews is relevant for Autocar’s readers
- Work with the wider team to ensure Autocar’s social media output reflects the access and opportunities we have with cars. Lead by example on this.
- Ensure the wider road test team is contributing to other parts of the Autocar output, including in getting news from launches and writing opinion pieces and other features where necessary and as required
- Go on car launches as and when required, both at home and abroad
- Ensure we maximise opportunities for video, particularly around car reviews and comparison tests for YouTube