This is a senior role on a small but highly experienced editorial team. PRWeek is leading the way as a paid content title, with an increasing amount of high-value, data-led reports. Part of the production editor’s role is to help manage these projects.
However, the core of the role is responsibility for ensuring that all pages in PRWeek’s print output are engagingly written, attractively presented and error-free. The production editor must approve all pages and ensure those pages are printed on time. This role primarily involves the production of the bi-monthly editions of PRWeek, as well as any relevant advertorials or supplements. The production editor will also be expected to take a lead role in ensuring the same standards are applied to PRWeek’s highly integrated online content.
- Sub copy for print: PRWeek plus advertorials and supplements.
- Sub copy for the website.
- Project management of special reports
- Lay out pages from templates speedily and accurately, and write good, clear, “selling” copy in headlines, standfirsts and captions.
- Proof pages.
- Ensure that all copy is accurate, lively and legal.
- Ensure that all copy is clearly understood. If not, seek clarification from the writer.
- Be prepared to cut, clarify, rearrange or rewrite in order to achieve clear and compelling copy.
- Finalise pages on GoPublish, download PDFs to check and approve, and ensure bi-monthly editions, advertorials and supplements go to press on time.
- Strip copy from InDesign pages and format it for online publication in the CMS.
- Reformat print-edition photographs for use online.
- Ensure a smooth production flow and that deadlines are met.
- Manage the booking and supervision of casual sub-editing staff, in conjunction with the managing editor/head of studio or editor if appropriate.
- Ensure style guides and design templates are strictly adhered to.
- Liaise with editorial, commercial and ad production to create and circulate flatplans.
- Liaise with editorial, commercial and ad production to produce schedules for bi-monthly editions and supplements
- Liaise with contributors over deadlines, queries etc.
- Ensure casual worker timesheets are processed.
- Maintain picture library and issue archive
- Experience of InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience of GoPublish and Haymarket CMS.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and cope well under pressure.
- Proven ability to manage report-based projects
- Highly numerate and ability to deal with rankings tables and graphics
- Ability and willingness to collaborate closely with editorial and commercial colleagues.
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills.
- Knowledge of the PR and marcoms industries.
- The production editor needs to be organised, meticulous, productive, motivated and quality-focused.
- They must be a stickler for detail and work to the highest standards of grammar and spelling.
- They will be expected to set high standards of behaviour and professionalism