The recent IPCC report has warned that Greenhouse gas emissions must peak by 2025. The report found it was now “almost inevitable” that temperatures would rise above 1.5 degrees, the point at which the impact of the climate crisis will become irreversible. It is possible to bring them back down below the critical level by the end of this century, but only if we invest in green innovation and make environmental sustainability part of every government, organisation and individual’s daily decision-making.
This year’s theme for Earth Day, Invest In Our Planet, calls for us all to do more to invest in better sustainable practices. As a socially and environmentally responsible business, we are committed to driving the meaningful change necessary to build a better world. Our UK business is committed to becoming certified and audited PAS 2060 carbon neutral in the UK in 2023.
Work is already well underway to help us get there, including:
- Completing our first global independent sustainability audit, scoring in the top 21% within our industry. This is crucial to now provide us with the necessary information to progress, set meaningful targets and know where to prioritise on our road to net zero. This is an exercise we have also carried out in the US, Germany, Asia and India
- In the UK we now have a full measurement of our Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions against which we can tangibly measure our progress year on year. This involved reporting on our print and digital products’ supply chain
- Becoming a signatory to the United Nations SDG Publishers Compact
- Pledging our commitment to the advertising association’s Ad Net Zero, a much needed drive in the UK to get the industry to carbon neutral by 2030
- Updated our UK travel policy to become more sustainable
Our brands are working hard to keep sustainability front of mind too. From Campaign’s consistent coverage and promotion of the advertising industry’s ambitions for a more sustainable future, to MIMS supporting greener prescribing by creating a table to compare the carbon footprints of all inhalers, and the ENDS fortnightly podcast updating listeners on the biggest green news stories and environmental issues facing us today.
Kevin Costello, Chief Executive at Haymarket Media Group said: “We all have a responsibility to reduce our carbon footprint and become net zero by 2030. We now have a clear plan of action and I am confident we will be certified carbon neutral as a UK business, in 2023.”
Haymarket will continue to share its journey to carbon neutrality and key environmental updates here, so keep an eye out for further news.
About Haymarket Media Group
Haymarket Media Group is a privately-owned media, data and information company, producing remarkable content for specialist audiences across the world. The company has 1,300 employees across offices in the UK, US, Hong Kong, Singapore, India and Germany.
Through live, digital, print, education, data, tech services, video and audio, Haymarket’s brands inspire, inform and empower clients and communities internationally.
Tara Geoghegan, Communications Manager, Haymarket Media Group